D.I.Y HOUSE CLEARANCE
If you are thinking of doing a DIY house clearance here is a list of what you will need and a rough guide to times and cost involved.
- At least one full day more likely two possibly three days to clear an average 2/3 bedroom house including recycling and redistribution
- Large van preferably with a tail lift to save your back and injuries per day expect to pay £65 – £95 plus a deposit of between £250 – £500
- Fuel depending on how far you are away from the local tip and charities, you should expect to do one or two tips to the dump and numerous trips to charity shops and recycling points for books, clothes, plastics, metals etc – £40 -£80
- A permit to enter your local tip in a van, most tips have a height restriction, so make sure you can get in before going down, as you may load the van up only to be told you cant enter, you can contact Surrey Council on 0845 603 5634 or apply online – FREE
- Two ideally three reasonably fit and strong people with a at least a day or two to spare, so probably best pick a weekend unless your paying wages or calling some favors. Wages for two to three people – £240 – £300
- 30 – 40 Heavy duty rubble sacks – £10
- 2 – 4 Boxes per room in the house you can collect for from local shops and supermarkets for FREE or buy online for about – £25 to £50
- Lots of bubble wrap and / or paper for wrapping up fragile items prior to transportation – £20
- 10 – 20 bungy straps for fastening furniture and boxes in place whilst in transit and a couple of ratchet straps for larger heavier items to avoid damage to van and or other items – £10 – £30
- Sack barrow or decent trolley, for moving large and cumbersome items, borrow from a friend or buy – £30
- A wheel barrow if there are potted plants & ornaments in the garden, borrow from a friend or buy – £30
- Stiff broom, soft broom and a dust pan & brush for brushing out hardwood and tiled floors, garage and patio etc.
- A hoover for vacuuming the spaces cleared so they’re left nice an clean and tidy, best use something like a Henry